RE: [ST] Oil Substitute?

> From: owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 05:55

According to my (Triumph accredited) dealer's service invoices, I'm running
Castrol R4 Superbike, which, according to Castrol
(http://complete-motoring.com/complete-motoring.nsf/HTMLPages/top_frames) is
"Fully synthetic, SAE 5W-40 (can be used where 10W-40 is advised)".

Suits me, sir! However, it's not brilliant as a coating for the rear tyre
(see engine bolt recall).

My personal view is that the brand thing is a bit overplayed (in all matters
other than "Triumph"). There are many good quality components, and a few not
so good. Triumph, along with all other manufacturers, will 'recommend' a
product, be it oil, polish, tyres or whatever, on the basis of cost, as long
as its up to the job, and doesn't cause them lots of recalls, or, in the
case of oil, medium to long-term image degradation as a result of blown-up
motors.

I used to like Duckhams oil (UK) 'cos that was my favourite colour - green!
~:)

Regards,
- --
BRG