Re: [ST] GPS comments requested

Turned out to be a problem with the iPAQ. The port stopped working
once we got to Montrose. I also tied a stylus to a piece of dental floss
and stuck it in the front zipper pocket, because you can't access all
the buttons (touchscreen) accurately enough with gloves on. That is until
Blake informed of the plastic pointers for fingertips. When I ordered
them, I asked if they made a model for gloves, they did. I am embarrassed
to say I forgot who I ordered them from, but Blake will know. So now I
have one attached to my glove. No stylus required.

I have the Pharoa GPS. It works pretty well. Even informs you of when to make
turns etc (provided you're not listening to music at the time .. bummer).
It is amazingly accurate at times, telling you to turn within feet of
the actual
turn. And yet at other times isn't. Like going across the San Rafael Bridge,
and being informed I am off-course. But you know, getting the bike a
hundred yards
OFF the bridge to get back on course wasn't really an option.

Other than that, it works pretty well. You have to load the maps from
the supplied
CDs (three of them cover the US). California has 23 maps, Colorado has 7.
You can only load two maps at a time into memory, and for routing
purposes, they
have to be contiguous, so that's a minor pain. I have the 2G disk, so
storage isn't
a problem.

You cannot look at the maps on your laptop, as the only program provided
is for the
iPAQ. But for $270 it works well. You can also track other GPS info like direction
and speed, etc, but not while displaying your moving map. Overall, I'm pretty
happy with it.

Plus I get to store tons of tunes on the iPAQ for those long distances :-)