[ST] Helmet sizing

 Well, talking of helmets once again.  I know, ultimately, I will need to
 actually put the helmet on, wear it a little while, and if possible, even
 ride with it on.  But I was looking through my "Motorcycle Accessory
 Warehouse" catalog today at work and they have a sizing chart in there.
 Now, you measure your head and get your hat size.  Well, I already know my
 hat size - 7-1/2.  They then have a little chart that matches helmet
 manufacturer's helmet sizes to hat size.

 Well, this would explain what I have found so far.  When I have tried the
 Shoei RF-900 on (and my current RF-700 is kind of the same way) the Large
 was to tight and the XL is a little loose.  I would ultimately need
 something right in between.  And that is exactly what this chart shows - a
 7-1/2 hat size is right in the middle of the L and XL sizing with the
Shoei.
 Then looking at the Arai sizing, what is right directly underneath that
 7-1/2 hat size?  XL.  And the XL Arai I tried on felt about right compared
 to what I have been dealing with on both the RF-900 and my current RF-700
 (which is an XL).

 Now, my question is this: since I really like a couple of the features on
my
 Shoei (no-brainer shield replacement, visor lock to hold the visor slightly
 open, finish, padding), is there one of the other Shoei models with a
 removable liner (since the RF-900 does not have a removable liner, I don't
 think) with different thickness pads to make it fit?  And of those other
 model Shoeis, are any of them the same type shell design as the RF-900 - in
 other words that fit the LO (or Signet/GT) head shape that I have?  Or, do
 start over and learn how to use the Arai features and buy an off the shelf
 XL that seems to fit just about right?

 And this debate really isn't about wind noise so much as it is about fit
and
 comfort.  I like the way my Shoei RF-700 feels on my head and love the
 features, but it is just the slightest bit to big which causes extra air
 flow in the helmet which equals wind noise and helmet lift at highway
 speeds, especially when turning your head to do a lane check for cars.  On
 longer trips I always wear ear plugs anyway, so that isn't the question
 here.  It is about ultimate fit.

 I know, some of this is more rhetorical and based on personal preference.
 Don't want to start any wars, just trying to type through my thoughts and
 get some input.  Just like everyone gave me on the jacket discussion.

 Thanks,

 Eric Mann
eric91z@xxxxxxxx
'91 Camaro Z28