[ST] stripped

In a message dated 7/21/01 10:07:25 PM, owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< However ... I decided to swap the rack back to the original grab rail & on
retrieval of the bolts furthest from the rear light discovered both threads
were stripped. Closer inspection reveals that the holes in the 'ironwork' on
the sub frame are slightly off center & must have left the factory like
that. In other words the bolts stripped on insertion at the factory, & the
dealer fitting the rack 'probably' replaced them with new, only to do the
same thing.

Has anyone else noticed a similar problem ?

Yes-I had blamed the installer. I think they ended up putting longer bolts in
and nuts on the bottom, instead of depending on the captive nuts.Dave
Collins, San Diego