[ST] Weekends findings.

I had one of those rare opportunities to put the ST through its paces this
weekend and compare it to the opposition.

A small group of us consisting of eight bikes (ST, VFR800, Futura, GSXR1100,
2x CBR400, Honda super-4, GS500) and eleven people left Dublin on Saturday
to travel 125 miles to Limerick.
The plan was to suppor the MAG Limerick  fundraiser Poker run (100 miles)
and then to attend the Demolition MCC Rally in CarraigKerry on Saturday
night before returning home on Sunday. Total milage was roughly 400 miles.

Needless to say, the STs rear seat was never empty and was perch of choice
amongst the three pillions.
Aparently, the Futuras stepped saddle and forward canted bars mean that the
passanger is sitting well above the height of the driver and catches lots of
turbulence. Anything over 80 MPH resulted in uncomfortable buffeting whereas
the ST was fine up to 100MPH.

The VFR was rated number two by the pillions and the Super-4 had its fans
aswell.

Fuel wise the ST managed 54MPG (Imperial), two up with full luggage whereas
the Futura only managed 47MPG, mostly solo and traveling light.

It's also the first time that I've been in touring mode sisnce I raceteched
the front end and have to say that I'm completely sold on this mod. The
level of feedback and control from the modified front end is as much as one
could reasonably expect from a damper rod type fork. I really do wish there
was a remote preload adjuster on the rear though, as per the Futura. I found
that the rear was slightly soggy with all the luggage and a pillion but the
screwdriver in the tool kit was too short to reach the adjuster so I had to
live with it. The end result was that I ground out the belly pan on a
particularly spirited blast down a twisty country lane. On the Futura
there's a handy knurled knob on the left of the bike that is easily twirled
to tune the spring to perfection.

Martin (Howlin' Dawg) Fay
Ireland,

'01 Aprilia Futura
'99 Triumph Sprint ST
'95 Moto Guzzi 1100 sport
'79 Moto Guzzi V50II (For one more week)

The information transmitted in this email is intended for the
addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. Any review, retransmission,dissemination,reliance
upon or other use of, this information by persons or entities
other than the addressee is prohibited.If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material.

This message has been swept by Anti-Virus software