[ST] RE: st-digest V2001 #437

<Snip>
> A month or so back, I was out having a bit of a blast and on changing from
> what I thought was 5th to 6th, I found the rev counter 'red lining' and
the
> speed reducing.
> a) Does the Sprint have a 'neutral' between 5th and 6th and if so, WHY?
>
> Mike
>
> 01 ST DKR

Dear Mike,
No the "false" neutral you are getting, is not uncommon and it used to catch
me out when the bike was new (up to 2000 miles). As I was furthermore used
to Honda gearboxes with their ultra smooth shifting, this used to haunt me
more than others. Then I mailed this trusty ST list and someone gave me the
following advice (off-list mind you so it might not be in the archive).
Firstly, the problem is caused, not by a *loose* gearbox, but rather a tight
gearbox that needs a very firm shift to select the following gear.
1. Take the bike and ride the sh* out of it in all the gears, making sure to
shift up and down through the gears as often as possible IOW ride it like
it's a stolen CBR400 (use a firm action when shifting).
2. Stop at your local pub and let the bike cool down for approximately three
lime and sodas.
3. Repeat above steps a few times.
Even when cruising 70Mph on the slab, you can change down to 5th and even
4th and gear up again, this will loosen the top gears, negating the need for
"heavy" shifts that caused your problem in the first place.

I haven't had this problem since I followed this advice and my box is as
smooth as any Honda (OK maybe not exactly but it's close) I have ever
ridden.

Regards,
Gerrit Herbst
'01 RS yellow (5800 miles)