Re: [ST] distance riding

Dennis,

I would not attempt to dissuade you from wearing full leathers if that is
the only thing that gives you a sense of security.  Perforated leather are
cooler than regular leather.  Cordura/Kevlar/Ballistic Nylon combo offer
almost as much protection and is MUCH cooler in most cases.  I can only give
you my personal combo for Texas  100+ F riding days.

Joe Rocket "Phoenix" Jacket.  Ballistic nylon with double armor.  This is
basically a "mesh" jacket.  Very good air-flow. I wear a single layer
"Duofold" long sleeve undershirt which I soak down at stops, the air flow is
like my own little A/C unit (dries out fast tho') It also soaks up sweat
then cools me off. Sweat is a GOOD THING when it's hot.  If you aren't
sweating you are in trouble (dehydration). Below, Draggin jeans (kevlar
reinforced in the butt and knees/shins) with Bohn body armor underneath.
This combo is MUCH cooler than Leather, offering good  abrasion and impact
resistance.  Remember, heat exhaustion is a very dangerous thing on a
motorcycle!

In conjunction I have a "Camelback" water hydration system.  This is a
backpack like device that I fill with ICE in the morning.  It has a drink
(bite) tube so you can drink merrily along the way.  This is a major help in
the heat.  Keeps you hydrated and the cold water cools you off a little.

Lastly, I leave early in the morning. Usually before sunrise.  Stop and
rest, drink lots of water and pee alot.  If you stop needing to pee, you are
dehydrating.

STeve Duncan
Underdawg
2K -ST (Betty)