Re: [ST] Riding two up

Bailey, Doug wrote:

> Other than
> braking distance and speed/lean through a corners is there anything else I'd
> want to be aware of?  Any tips for the rider or passenger?

Your pillion needs to be instructed before riding with you. Tell her how
to get on (left foot on left peg, left hand on your left shoulder, swing
leg over bike and sit). Tell her not to get on or off until you
explicitly tell her to, otherwise you may not be braced for the weight
shift and could fall. Also point out the hot bits (exhaust pipes, son,
exhaust pipes :-) that she doesn't want to come into contact with.

I've heard two schools of thought WRT how the pillion should brace
herself. Some folks say the pillion should hold on to your waist, while
others say she should grab some part of the bike. The latter seems to
provide for better bike control, so if I have to give a ride to a guy I
tell him to grab the pannier handles. However, I still have the women
hug me. (Why, yes, I *do* ride a blue bike! :-) It puts a lot more
weight on my arms/wrists when braking, though.

Also, tell your pillion to always look over your inside shoulder when
turning, and either shoulder at all other times. This keeps helmets from
banging when accelerating or braking. Lastly, your pillion shouldn't try
to lean with or against the bike. She should try and stay neutral with
whatever lean angle you're setting.

HTH...

- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>