Re: [ST] distance riding

>I wear mine as I dont always run the tank bag. I use a 70oz version btw.
>Although I have not done it I do know some who wear it under the jacket .I
>guess it helps keep them cool. I run a back protector so I just wear it on
>the outside.

I often wear mine (CamelBak Rocket) under my jacket, especially when
I'm riding through the desert.  It does help me keep cool, especially
if I fill it with icewater.  When I'm riding in cooler weather, I wear
it over my jacket.

However, I learned something during the Death Valley ride this year.
My hotel in Bakersfield had a small refrigerator in the room, so I
tried filling the CamelBak and then freezing it, figuring that I'd add
some water in the morning and have a nice chunk of ice that would melt
as I rode.  I did that, nad it worked fairly well, until I exhausted
the liquid water and was left with just a big chunk of ice.  So when I
was stuck on the side of the road in 110o heat, I didn't have much
liquid water available.

I heartily recommend filling it with lots of ice, but freezing the
reservoir seems to be a bad idea.

- -Patti