Re: [ST] Riding two up

At 01:52 PM 7/23/01 -0400, Bailey, Doug wrote:
>I've recently met someone who would like to go riding with me.  I've only
>ridden two up a few times and then it was on, well, my Harley.  Other than
>braking distance and speed/lean through a corners is there anything else I'd
>want to be aware of?  Any tips for the rider or passenger?  Thanks.

Doug,

Congratulations !!

Looks like there have been some really good suggestions on the subject, but
I figured I would offer my thoughts. First, remember that being the
passenger is never as fun as being the one in control (at least in my
mind..). If you like to do an hour in the saddle and the passenger wants to
do 30 minutes, then I would suggest you do 30 minutes. When I ride with
Kim, I still don't have a problem with 3 hours in the saddle, but she can't
do more than 90 minutes. To be sure she doesn't hate the outing I change to
meet her needs.

If you don't have a comm system, work out predefined hand signals. A "pull
over now" signal is a must.

The leaning suggestions I have seen posted are right on the money, so I
won't rehash.

The only other item I can think of right now is braking. I find that with
new passengers the first thing I notice at stops is their helmet bouncing
off mine at lights... usually caused by them off looking around and being
caught unaware by the reduction in speed...

The most important thing is to have fun. If you discuss items ahead of time
you will have an outing that is pleasurable for both of you.

- -Eric