RE: [ST] Rev limit

> Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:46:37 -0700
> From: Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [ST] Rev limit
>
> Strizver, Chris L wrote:
>
> > 1. Is it damaging to the engine to bounce off the rev limiter.
>
> Probably not, as long as you don't leave it banging on the rev limiter
> continuously.

By definition, if the limiter's working, it's going to keep you out of the
damage zone. I would also guess that there's at least 1500 rpm beyond the
limiter where we could go without bits tangling. Even in this zone, it's not
likely to be 'instant death' for the motor, more steeply increasing wear. I
would say that leaving it banging against the limiter is not mechanically
harmful, but I'll guarantee you'll quickly tire of it!

> > 2. How do you know your limiter is working? The couple of times
> that I've
> > been in the red I haven't felt the limiter kick in.
>

> While the red part of the tach starts at 10K, the rev limiter doesn't
> really kick in until 10.5K or so (at least on my 2000 ST).

I'll endorse Dawgbert's findings. Mine hits the limiter at an indicated
10500. As to the actual rpm that this represents, it's anyone's guess. I've
no evidence to suggest that the rev counter is any more accurate than the
speedo, and the rate of knots at which it's climbing the scale must mean it
has a bit of momentum? On the other hand, one would expect the limiter
software, being part of the Engine Manager, to be accurate to +/- a gnat's
dick.

Explore Chris, that's what it's there for...

As an invitation for alternative suggestions, my method is to:
1) Choose a straight, hazard-free stretch of road - on no account should
this be in deer territory (cf.).
2) Be riding about 6k in 3rd, and aim to accelerate hard to at least 5th,
possibly 6th.
3) Aim to shift up when the engine splutters. YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHANGE THE
INSTANT IT SPLUTTERS, but the change up should be quick.
4) Wind the taps fully open.
5) Expect things to go 'blah' at an indicated 10.5k.
6) DON'T PANIC when it happens.
7) Change up and repeat from 4)
8) Enjoy ~:)
9) DON'T send me your speeding ticket (cf. #1 above)

BTW, using the rev limiter actually loses you some time in the acceleration
stakes, as you're spending quite a bit of time without power. The best
acceleration comes when you change just before the limiter. I've only been
there 'cos I'm not the world's best at knowing what my engine's doing when I
need to be looking elsewhere than the tach.

Regards,
- --
BRG
email: keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx