[ST] Warped Rotors - or Sticking Rotor Buttons?

> "Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 19:54:59 +0200
> From: "Jonaz Kumlander" <jonaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] Brake problem
>
> Hi!
>
> I have a Sprint RS -00 that has done 11000 km and my brakes are weird...
> When I hit the brake in 80 km/h the bike shake like an ABS system on a
> car. What do you all think it is?
>
> Thanks, Jonaz

Jonaz,

It is not necessarily warped rotors.  The ST brakes are full floaters, and probably
among the best available on any street bike.  Even under hard racing conditions, it
is not likely these rotors will warp easily, much less under normal street riding.
outer rotor is sticking slightly in the buttons that connect it to the inner hub
part.  I think in some rotors these buttons may have been peened slightly too tight
from the factory, or they corrode over time.  John Fitzwater of New Zealand had
recommended several years ago on the triumph-digest to inspect and lubricate these
buttons periodically.  As part of my routine maintenance, I will lubricated them
once or twice a year.  Use either wd40 or some graphite oil.  Using a cottom Qtip
swab, touch just the slightest dab of oil oround each button, trying to reach into
the shank between the inner and outer rotor.   Obviously, you don't want to stand
back and spray the disk with oil, and you don't want so much oil that it will run
out onto the rotor under speed. Just enough to barely wet the button, keeping it
localized to the inside shank portion where it is needed.  Then, work the rotor back
and forth by hand a bit, to make sure it is free to move on the buttons, but don't
do this so hard as to bend the rotor.  Just induce some movement in it, in case it
is lightly stuck with corrosion.  It only takes a few thousandth of an inch off true
to make the brakes pulse.  The floating rotor must be able to true itself, and it
doesn't take much to have it stick lightly and pulsate.

Good luck,

Rick Hartwick
00 ST