Re: [ST] New Daytona

Gack! I never said I hated the VFR. I said that it just doesn't light my
fire because I think it's too complex for the return in performance. In this
case, high-tech didn't translate to superior performance. It was this issue
that made me buy an ST instead of a VFR when it was time to replace my BMW
R-RS.

As for the demo truck, I agree it's a wonderful thing. But let me add that
an hour's ride is quite a lot less time than we spend with the bikes during
a road test. Sometimes we get a month or more to "live with" a particular
test bike. Many times quirks that appear to us in the initial miles fade as
we become accustomed to them, while other seemingly minor niggles rise to
the surface as real-world, bug-you-all-day glitches. (The TT600 is a fine
case in point. The day the scribblers spent on them in France for the intro
failed to turn up the horrible injection glitches that we noticed once we
got bikes at home.)

Ideally, a road test will give you the big picture, the overview of the
bike's performance as well as a clear picture of its personality so you can
pick through the information and decide what's important to you. Just
because you might agree with our ranking doesn't make you brilliant; no more
than if you disagree are we total idiots.

So if you're predisposed to liking the Daytona (as I'm sure most on this
list are) then take the information presented (dyno figures, general chassis
performance, ergonomic evaluations, etc.) and use them to come to your own
conclusions. Be man enough to be happy with a third-place bike. ;-)

Finally, I've got to say that Triumph really needs to get its act together
on the fuel injection. I don't know if it's a setup issue--we are delivered
test bikes that are supposed to be representative of those on the showroom
floor, and it's not our fault if they're not--but if I get on another new
Triumph with crappy FI mapping I'm gonna scream.

- --MC