Re: [ST] RE: (ST) RE: (ST) New Daytona (And superbike review spoilers

I've ridden quite a lot with a friend on a VFR, and the statements below seem true of the RS vs. VFR as well as the ST vs. VFR, though to a lesser extent. Normally I'm way ahead of the VFR on fast smooth stuff, but on really rough pavement, or on really tight corners, the cheapo suspension comes into play and the VFR catches up to me.

I hit a rough patch while heeled over doing about 75 in a 30 mph sweeper on Saturday and my rear end moved way out. My buddy commented on hitting the same patch with his VFR, but his suspension absorbed the impact and he held his line.

Of course the fact that my buddy races flat track and motocross and spends more time off road than on, and that he is just plain better at riding tight stuff than I am probably has more to do with it than the bikes.

>>> Martin Fay <mfay@xxxxxxxxx> - 7/30/01 9:26 AM >>>
True the 955 motor is stronger than the VFRs unit which makes it easier to make
good progress, but the superior suspension of the VFR means you can push it much
harder in the tight twisty stuff that would have the ST scraping it's belly pan
and the front end tied up in knots. In a journey involving long straights and
gentle curves the ST should open up a gap on a VFR.

The RS is a different machine to the ST and obviously it won't have the same
ground clearance restrictions the ST suffers from, however the comment was made
in the context of a sports tourer test.

Martin