Triumph FI tunes (was Re: [ST] Bunch of stuff)

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Miller" <sportybird@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> I'm trading my Trophy in for an RS
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> I want an aftermarket exhaust, but don't want the carbon fiber look which
> appears to be the only one offered by Triumph. If I get 2bros or Jack
> Lilley's, or any other can besides Triumph's, will the dealer have the
> correct tune available. Basically, I'm asking if there is a difference in
> tunes between Triumph's aftermarket and any other aftermarket? I'm
concerned
> that I won't be able to get the correct tune to match an off brand can.

For any given release (current release is Version 11 as far as I know)
Triumph provides three tunes for each type of fuel-injected bike.  Models
that use the larger Sagem MC 2000 Electronic Control Module (ECM) do not
share the same tune files with bikes that use the smaller MC 1000 ECM, but
RS's and newer ST's that use the MC 1000 use the same set of tunes.

One of each group of three tunes is for the production silencer, one is for
the production silencer/catalytic converter combination required for certain
markets, and one for the aftermarket silencer.  All aftermarket cans,
including Triumph's own 'Race' can, use the aftermarket tune.  The results
have been reported as satisfactory for non-Triumph cans, but it can be
argued that this situation is less than ideal.  For the moment, however, it
is your only choice.

Wayne MacDonald, a Triumph enthusiast in Australia, wrote a PC-based program
(known as the Tuneboy)which emulates the Triumph/Actia tool (more commonly
referred to as the Gameboy) which Triumph dealers use to tune bikes and
diagnose problems.  Recently he was able to decipher the Triumph encryption
that was preventing unauthorized tunes from being downloaded.  So now he is
in a position to not only support the downloading of standard Triumph tunes,
but also to modify existing tunes, thus creating custom tunes for FI-mapping
improvements and to potentially support any number of aftermarket cans.  I
believe he is currently working on the user interface to his program that
will allow such customization.  Whether he will actually provide these
custom tunes or simply provide the tools that a tuner could use in
conjunction with a dynamometer remains to be seen (or perhaps heard).  For
more information you can visit his website
http://members.optushome.com.au/wmcdonal/ or e-mail him directly
(WMcDonal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Neil