Re: [ST] Grace's Really Bad Day [longish]

 > A very relieved and lucky MarcD...

oh, marc, what a story.  :-/ :-(

my wife julia and i have been riding together for 6 or 7 years.  a
couple of years ago we had a long weekend in california, and rented
R850Rs, and headed up the coast from san francisco.  3rd day, heading
back south, north of napa valley -- it was before breakfast, but after
coffee, we were tired, but charged up from 2 days of great riding.
julia, in front of me, over-cooked a 90 degree left turn, and
low-sided on the shoulder.  unfortunately, there was an embankment
there, and she, still on the bike, bounced off it squarely.  she ended
up lying in the road, face up.  i'll never forget riding though the
spinning debris of her bike, parking, running back and looking into
her tiny faceshield opening, saying "are you okay?", and hearing her
respond "no -- my back hurts".  it was awful.  we were close to a
hospital, she was backboarded of course.  turned out she had a
compression fracture of a big vertebra.  advice:  if you're going to
break your back, that's the way to do it.  she was in a lot of pain
for a week, wore a brace but otherwise functioned normally for 6 or 7
weeks, and after a year was pretty much as good as new.

we still ride.  we're planning an 8-week trip this summer.  but
stories like yours, and my memories, sometimes make me wonder why we
do it.  :-/

have strength,
paul