[ST] Actual Value of a Sprint ST

Hi all. I've been reading all the talk of the ST's value here for the
past few days, and I have a problem with it's ACTUAL value. I have been
trying to sell my 1999 Red Sprint ST for the last 3 weeks to no avail. I
have had 1 Triumph dealer tell me they WOULD NOT take it in trade toward
a new bike, and another offer me $6000 for it in trade. So far that has
been my BEST offer, from anyone, including people off the street,
despite the Blue book values of $8300 retail and $6000 wholesale. Forget
dealers of other brands. NO ONE is interested. I have asked over 6
different dealers of assorted Japanese and European bikes if they'd
trade and all say no thanks. Even a wholesaler told me he wouldn't touch
the bike.  The bike is IMMACULATE, has 1900 miles on it , the race can,
hugger, carbon tank pad, Gen -Mar risers and still has a TRANSFERABLE
warrantee until this October. So where is MY value? It's one thing for
the general public to show little interest in what is being called a
niche bike by some people I have spoken to, but for TRIUMPH dealers to
refuse a trade.....there is a real problem here. I live in central New
Jersey, and the ONLY dealer who would consider a trade was the one I
bought it from, and even he said he'd have to hit me in the eye with the
price. So how is it that in 20 months, 6 of which were winter, my bike
went from being a $10,700 value to being worth about $6000. Not a really
good value if you ask me. In 22 years of riding and 9 different
motorcycles, this is the first bike that I have EVER lost so much money
on in so short a time. And it's still not sold.

Clement Canino

99 red ST

End of st-digest V2001 #323