Re: [ST] Paint, Western Rallye, Ken's interesting comments...

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, David Earl wrote:

> "When I am on the street I ride for lean, so whether I am on the inside
> tire track or outside tire track I am going for the same lean, who gives
> a damn if you are going around the corner 3 mph slower"
>
>     Let me clarify myself. I'm not talking about, or advocating, riding
> in the "inside tire track or outside tire track"
> What I'm talking about is entering a corner on the outside, picking a
> late turn in point that hopefully allows you to see the exit of the
> corner, turning and hitting the apex of the corner and exiting back
> towards the outside. Outside-Inside-Outside.  Like they teach in
> MSF-ARC. On every corner so it becomes routine/second nature. This
> requires less lean angle for less time, thereby increasing the safety
> level.  Whether you're on the street or on the track makes no
> difference, the laws of physics are the same.  The longer you spend on
> the sides of your tires at a lessened state of adhesion, the greater the
> chance of loosing grip completely.

The question I would have with that stagety, is the highest lean
is when you go from the outside to the inside tracks right? But
isn't that through the center of the lane where most of the
debris/oil/crap is. But then again, if you are in the outside lane
and you see stuff in the center of the lane, you can just stay in
the outside lane. As well thay type of riding also incourages WFO
exits from courners, which, although no optimal in racing, I like
to keep a constant speed, or light deacceleration in and light
acceleration out.

>     "whether I am on the inside tire track or outside tire track I am
> going for the same lean"
>
> How do you figure, given that the radius of the inside track is smaller?
>
> "The extra 5-10 ft of warning I would have had riding in the outer lane
> would not have done us anything"
>
> I couldn't disagree more.  Translated into time, 1/2 second or so could
> make all the difference in the world. Could perhaps even be the
> difference between life and death.

Personally I think that is a bit high. But I think we are getting
down to a difference of opinions. Each person has their own riding
style. My capabilities are different that yours, in some areas
better, in some worse.

So it comes down to each person riding their own ride, but I hope
that will never preclude me from listening to other peoples opinions,
because I know I did not invent most of what I know. Quite the
opposite actually. The more I listen, the more I learn.

Tom

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>        http://get.qnx.com
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664