[ST] Corners and lines

Interesting thread! I may be old fashioned but even on modern well shod
bikes I still prefer to use the line with the best view on entry and track
the corner on a wide line without "apexing". This means that you always have
room for correction, if you over steer you turn into the corner where you
have left room, not onto the oncoming traffic. But most of all you give the
bike the best chance to maintain grip. I have followed lots of  "apexers"
and find that they are constantly adjusting their speed or line because most
bends on open roads are uneven and inconsistent in turning radius. Leaving
scope means that you can follow a chosen turn rate without speed or line
changes, being just as quick in the end. Plus of course you see the way out
sooner, sometimes.
The most interesting bit is of course that as soon as you go into the real
world there are many variables and you end up doing what suits the
circumstances? But I suppose my main point is visibility, always choose the
position where you can see furthest from. I was brought up in the Highlands
of Scotland where all the roads at that time were single or one and a half
width and we learnt to use the whole road width for corners crossing the
gravel strip in the centre constantly (but always on a Triumph twin).
Analysing your actions after an incident is very difficult without a third
party view. Most times panic means you react according to habit and
instinct, I would guess. So lessons only have value when practised
regularly?

David