Re: [ST] are headlights on US bikes european spec?

brd wrote:
<<
I believe the bulbs are H4's, correct?  So are the headlight lenses
themselves European spec?  I noticed when aiming mine up a bit tonight
that they seem to have a distinct, horizontal cut-off line, like the
EuroSpec lights I got for my VW do, and unlike most DOT spec lenses in
the US which spread light everywhere.

Has anyone tried aiming their (in the U.S.) right headlight a little
higher (just a tiny bit), to illuminate the side of the road a little
better?  Is the right beam off to the side enough that it doesn't aim
into oncoming traffic, or do the beams overlap?

Also, are the lenses glass?

The bulbs are H4.  The lenses are the same as the Euro-bike, and I have also
noticed the sudden cut off of light.  I adjusted the right light higher with
the stock bulbs to get some more distance.  After that I installed the
Philips Vision Plus bulbs, which did seem to add some range to the light
pool.  I haven't adjusted the right light back in line with the left because
I do like a few extra feet of vision on the ditch side of the road.  Plus
more people started getting out of my way when I adjusted the right up, so I
don't want to lose that when I go for one of my 'power tours', like St Louis
to Kansas City in @ 2 hrs 30 min.  Or like this weekend when I came back
from the Kansas BMW rally in a 'frog strangler' storm and didn't feel like
changing lanes on I70 to go past people who think 72 MPH on a 70 MPH
interstate gives them the right to hang out in the fast lane in front of
those of us who chose to go a bit faster.  On the plus side a gentelman who
caught up to me at a gas stop did confirm the Pirelli Dragon GTS tires
visibly displace a lot of water, apparently the roster tail and wake were
quite noticable, especially when I pass them at 10mph+ their speed :-)

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen