[ST] Paint, Western Rallye, Ken's interesting comments..

"But IIRC people where talking about about going in braking, then a
sharper turn and accelerating out through the apex"

It's not a "sharper" turn. As taught by Keith Code, the "Quicker" you
change direction the less lean angle is required. In my experience this
is true.

"what do you do when you are accelerating through the "apex" of the turn
and you suddenly find
that the turns goes on a bit further that you expected or is a bit
tighter (decreasing radius). All of a sudden you apex is further along
the road?'

The technique as it was taught to me is that you trail brake into the
corner and don't roll the throttle on until you can clearly see the exit
of the corner, not the apex.

"But I've seen too many corners where the is debris stacked up in
between the tire tracks. So if you can stay in a tire track your
probably better off."

Riding on the inside or outside tire track to avoid debris is all well
and good but what happens when run off has washed debris all over the
road around a blind corner you're not expecting. What happens is you see
the debris, panic because your precious clean track is gone and you
tighten up, brake, or both,  perhaps landing yourself on your head.  Not
to mention riding on the inside track going around a corner greatly
increases the chance of running out of road if you've mis-judged your
speed. (BTW there could be lots of runoff debris  in corners following
rains in the mountains around the rally so everybody be careful. We've
had enough offs lately )

As for the overall subject, here's my 2c. While there is an art to
riding a motorcycle, motorcycle is not an art, it is a science. A
science governed by the same design principles and laws of physics used
to design modern motorcycles.  There are many places one can go and
learn these principles. With very few minor differences in detail, every
school I've been to or read about teaches the same thing. The Right way
to ride. This is about motorcycle STABILITY.  It doesn't matter if the
road surface is covered in concrete, asphalt, rain, ice, dirt, sand,
bubble gum or ball bearings, if the bike is at it's most stable, it's at
it's most stable. The ONLY user variable is speed.
    Yes you can ride by instinct for many years without an accident. I
know I did it for 10.  The problem is that when it's crunch time and you
have to do it RIGHT or else, chances are, your instincts will have you
do the wrong thing and you'll end up with the or else. Once again, I
know this from experience.   In many circumstances grabbing the brake is
the absolute worse thing you can do, yet that is exactly what your
instinct tells you to do.
    My solution was to learn the proper way to ride from experts and
practice what they taught me at every opportunity. This information is
not subjective. It is, plainly, "when you do this, the bike does this.
When you want to do this, don't do that."  Remember a motorcycle at
speed is inherently stable, it will not fall down without your help.

David'99ST