Re: [ST] Paint, Western Rallye, Ken's interesting comments..

first of all, don't want to beet this to death. And we simply look
at different situations differently, but we see some situations
the same.

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, David Earl wrote:

> "But IIRC people where talking about about going in braking, then a
> sharper turn and accelerating out through the apex"
>
> It's not a "sharper" turn. As taught by Keith Code, the "Quicker" you
> change direction the less lean angle is required. In my experience this
> is true.

But, the quicker a bike turns, the more lean. simple fact of physics,
the quicker a bike turns, mean more centripetal force, which means
that you have to move the centre of gravity of the rider/bike
towards the centre of the radius. So either you increase the lean,
or more you ass further off the bike. Unfortunately I saw the effect
when my ST tried to make a real quick left hand turn :-) Sorry
Bill.

> road around a blind corner you're not expecting. What happens is you see
> the debris, panic because your precious clean track is gone and you
> tighten up, brake, or both,  perhaps landing yourself on your head.  Not

Okay, my first point was that I have decent enough skills that I
can handle that.

> to mention riding on the inside track going around a corner greatly
> increases the chance of running out of road if you've mis-judged your

umm,errr that is the whole idea of riding the inside track is

a) if you take the race line your speed will be a bit higher.

b) by going through a corner in the inside lane by default you have
extra pavement before running out of road. That was my point. When
in the outside lane you have 18-24 (FWIR) before you are on gravel
or in the oncoming lane, no?

> speed. (BTW there could be lots of runoff debris  in corners following
> rains in the mountains around the rally so everybody be careful. We've
> had enough offs lately )

This is very true.

Tom