Re: [ST] Paint, Western Rallye, Ken's interesting comments..

>From: Thomas Emberson <thomas@xxxxxxx>
>To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [ST] Paint, Western Rallye, Ken's interesting comments..
>Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:46:24 -0400
>From owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx Wed Jun 06 06:56:33 2001
>Sender: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx
>

>first of all, don't want to beet this to death. And we simply look
>at different situations differently, but we see some situations
>the same.
>
>On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, David Earl wrote:
>
> > "But IIRC people where talking about about going in braking, then a
> > sharper turn and accelerating out through the apex"
> >
> > It's not a "sharper" turn. As taught by Keith Code, the "Quicker" you
> > change direction the less lean angle is required. In my experience this
> > is true.
>
>But, the quicker a bike turns, the more lean. simple fact of physics,
>the quicker a bike turns, mean more centripetal force, which means
>that you have to move the centre of gravity of the rider/bike
>towards the centre of the radius. So either you increase the lean,
>or more you ass further off the bike. Unfortunately I saw the effect
>when my ST tried to make a real quick left hand turn :-) Sorry
>Bill.

Um... I think you are a bit off there.  The quicker a bike turns in, the
less the lean angle that is required to get though the turn. That is not to
say that some turns don't require a lot of lean, but if you failed to make a
quick left on your ST (at what speed, BTW?), then it was probably a result
of rider error.  And hanging off is for posers, unless you are on the track
and are using your knee to judge lean angle or to save the bike when the
front washes out.  If you know what you are doing, there is no reason to be
moving off most modern bikes in any street riding situation -- unless you
are on a cruiser, perhaps.  I've seen professionals and really advanced
riders taking corners at speeds that I wouldn't even consider (120mph and
up), and they do not hang off or drag parts (on a sportbike, anyway).  They
know how to turn in fast, and they know how to use rear wheel slides to
tighten their line.

Maybe it's time for you to sign up for California Superbike School.

Just my $1.50, adjusted for inflation.