Re: [ST] Fwd: Yamaha's BullDog

 > With only a claimed 68 hp (probably more like 58-60 at the rear
 > wheel) I'd have to go with an SV650 if I were in the market for
 > this type of bike.

sounds like you're not in the market for "this type of bike" then.  :-)
you're in the market for a different performance category.

don't compare it to the sport-touring market (e.g.  RS, ST, VFR), or
the sporting standard market (SV, FZ1, ZR7, Bandit) -- compare it to
the so-called "roadster" market -- i.e., the R1100R, for example.

personally, i'm really happy to see that yamaha was willing to buck
the gotta-have-maximum-possible-power trend to make a stable,
reliable, powerful-enough bike.  my VX800 is an _excellent_ all around
bike -- way better as a general purpose bike than the RS.  it makes
55HP on a good day.  i confess that i've wished for a little more
sometimes, but day to day, commuting to work, occasional weekend and
weeklong touring -- all 50,000 miles in the last 5 years -- it's been
a wonderful machine, capable of some sporting behavior, carrying a lot
of luggage, handling dirt and gravel with ease, and even took a sidecar
for a while.  the bulldog sounds like a winner as far as i'm concerned.

paul