[ST] The Planned Trip

Lisa wrote: How many days do you have to get from East to West and back
again ;-)!

My friends think my addiction has reached new lows.  Last November I was
planning to do the IBA National Parks tour through the eastern half of the
US with a couple days in New Orleans this year.  Then in December I saw the
SCMA's Four Corners Tour.  Now that would be a great trip.  I figured I'd
also do the national parks along the way.  So I planned out that trip and
realized I'd only miss 8 of the lower 48 states.  Heck, it'd be a shame to
miss just those 8.  So it has developed into a 3 1/2 week four corners, 48
state, national park trip.  I don't have enough vacation for that trip this
year so I'll save it up and go next year.  This also gives me time to read
about this type of long distance riding, acquire additional gear, and in
general prepare for this.  I'll spend one day each in New Orleans,
Yellowstone, and at my family's house.  This also gives me days to use
should I fall behind schedule.

Most days are 600-700 miles starting at 6 am and finishing by 9 pm.  There
are a couple shorter ones and longer ones, about 350 is the shortest and 850
is the longest.  The tricky part in the planning is getting to a national
park when they first open and making it to the last one before they close.
Thus the desire to find some enjoyable roads, as I'll see much more
interstate than I'll care too, but I also need to make good time.  It would
be nice to take all two lane highways and spend more time in places but then
I'd need all summer off and I don't think my boss would go for that.  I've
been using MS Streets and Trips to go through several iterations on some of
the days.  I also am figuring a servicing and new tires around Flagstaff or
LA and possibly a couple days before I get home (Pennsylvania) depending on
how the D205's go.  Recently I got 8,000 miles from the rear and 13,700
miles from the front.  I also got 18,000 miles from the original stock chain
and changed it as a preventative step.  Well, that's the plan for next year.

And speaking of acquiring additional gear.  For those of us who are
challenged with a wide foot, Cruiserworks makes a great waterproof boot.
I've only had them a few weeks but I wore them during the endurance rally
during which it just poured at time and was wet during most and never had a
leak.  I also walked all day around the East Regional Street Rod's show with
no problem.

Doug Bailey  "Hound Dawg"