Re: [ST] Crash follow up @ 4.5 weeks

Previously, you (Richard & Lisa White) wrote:
> That's GREAT news!  I presume you are in "hand" therapy right now. Do
> everything they tell you, plus some (at least that's what I did after I
> got my hand free after 3 weeks of immibilization from tendon repair in
> two fingers).  I started playing the piano and typing ASAP.

I've been given a list of exercises to do.  They are things I can do
while sitting at my desk so I sometimes take a break from the keyboard
to do them.

Oh, and I'm touch typing again with my old speed back!  :-)

On the night of my wreck I asked the xray tech if I'd be able to play
the violin when I was healed.  She said "sure".  I replied that that was
amazing because I've never been able to play it before.  (Really, I got
her with this old gag -- of course it was 2:30am).

I think the same thing applies to me playing the piano.  Although maybe
I should pull out my saxaphone ...

A wonderful thing happened Friday.  It was my first full day with the
cast off.  I started off with my hand stiff like usual then it relaxed a
bit for the rest of the day.  Then over dinner it was almost as if
something fell into place -- I had much more movement, much less
stiffness and little of the achey stretching feeling at the limits of
motion that I'd had!

Each day since then has followed the same pattern.  Stiff in the
morning, constant good range of motion through the day and much, much
better in the evening.  Weird! And, of course, every day is better than
the last.  :-)

I definately have to work on building up strength again, and there still
seems to be some nerve damage (decreased sensation) although that is
also improving.

> At any rate, I hope this means we'll see you at the Eastern Rallye . . .

I think so.  I bought new gloves (Triumph's perforated leather with
kevlar) on Saturday and took SWMBO's NightHawk out for a spin that
night.  I still have to decide on a new jacket (really like the looks
and price of the Fieldsheer perforated jacket), pants and boots.

I don't know if my hand will be up to riding to and from the Rallye
though.  I might have to trailer the bike (sorry about that) to save my
hand for the Rallye itself.  Is it the journey or the destination? And
if you can only pick one, which do you pick?

If I could spare 2 days to travel each way to/from the Rallye I'd be
fine, but that isn't in the cards (this year).  But with a some hard
work to improve my strength and regain full mobility I'll be there, one
way or another!

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL