[ST] Oil Leak?

I've had my RS now for a couple of weeks now and I am very impressed with
it.  I had the first service done last Monday and the bill came to £44,
which included two relays (fitted) to make the headlights Non EEC
Bureaucratic one up one down (I ask you what will they think of next an
amber flashing beacon to warn other road users what a danger we are!!!!)
Anyway that's another story, at the time of the service I noticed a spot of
oil about 1" in diameter underneath the gear change shaft.  The mechanic
assured me it was chain lube running down from under the sprocket cover, I
was sceptical but accepted that claim.

I have checked the engine when cold and the 'fluid' around the pinion is
very much like engine oil, especially as I use chain wax not oil lube!  Has
anyone else had a similar leak around the pinion shaft on such a low mileage
machine (800 miles).

BTW even with that small problem and the sticky low fuel sender unit I am
very happy with it, my other choice was a Honda VFR and the RS has two MAJOR
things going for it Character and Torque, lots of it!!!

- ---
"if you need an explanation, then everything must go.."
Rich Crinson
rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx