Re: [ST] What should I test ride?

Previously, you (Thomas Emberson) wrote:
> That reminds me of a little test ride I took when I was picking up
> my bike in FL. Took Bill's/Wilma's nighthawk 650 out.

You (and we) wish it was a 650! It is only a Nighthawk 450 (CB-450SC).
Last built in '86, the thing is almost a classic (not in the Triumph
sense).  It was my 1st bike, now SWMBO's, and is destined to become the
1st bike for each of our children I suspect.  I can't think of a better
bike for them to start on.

> So there I was riding around, thought I would see what it could
> do. So I wind it up, 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear 4th even. First
> though, wow at 6000 rpm it sounds like the bike is strangling a
> chicken to death, second thought, better slow it down, I'm in a 45
> zone. So I look down and read the speedometer, 50 mph, um er what.
>
> Only 50, I wnet through like 4 gears, the thing felt like it was
> flying.

There's something about sitting up straight and hanging out in the wind
on a naked bike that just puts the fun back into it.  :-) And, as you
discovered, it doesn't take power to make it fun.

Someday I've got to try a Speed Triple.  Upright, naked and power as
well.  Wahoo!

> Seriously if you have the opportunity to take one of these around
> the block do it. There are very few streets where you will be able
> to break the speed limit. Just something extremely amusing about
> have a bike full throttle, speed shifting, and have it power limited
> to about 60 mph. Of course I weight somewhere between 225 and 280,
> so I am sure some of the lighter listeners might get to 65 mph :-)

With patience you can get it out on the interstate at 75mph in 6th
(overdrive, complete with blue "overdrive" light on instrument panel)
and it'll run at 65mpg! I have had it up to 85mph, but it starts to get
a bit shaky around there.

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL