[ST] Re: N.C.

	Hey All
Spent last week (and 2600 miles) with my 99 ST in North Carolina. Hoo Boy
, you Rallyers are in for a good time!
	Bike was flawless whether droning up the interstate (601 miles was our
longest day) running in dirt/gravel
(only 11 miles , but still...) or flicking through Deal's Gap in the
rain.(road dried 1/3 way thru , but it sounds good...)
	Ah yes , Deal's Gap. If you've never ridden US 129 thru the Gap, you've
gotta check it out. I don't know what they were thinking when they
designed that 11 miles, but I suspect they were all motorcyclists...I
rode the Dragon on two separate days - gotta say it was much more fun
when dry. I did get passed by one bike - but wasn't humiliated in the
least as it turned out to be a guy on a Daytona. The Sprint drew crowds
and started conversations on  both days. Sheeite I love this bike!!
	The Cherohala Skyway wasn't as much fun as I had hoped, although it is
quite scenic. Nice wide sweepers make for a relaxing diversion on a
Sprint , but one would need to travel at nearly sub-orbital speeds to
really make it interesting. What's the deal with Tellico Plains, anyway?
Plains is right - freakin' place looks like Iowa - not even 11 turns in
318 miles. I heard that the day after riding the Cherohala it hailed so
much there that the road appeared to have a couple of inches of snow
accumulated. Careful , all!
	The southern 150 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway is Gorgeous - mountain
laurels were just starting to bloom-  plus it's my understanding that a
speeding ticket results in a fine but no points. Kinda like paying ones
dues to join the club.
	The ride to Mount Mitchell was good -  nice restaurant at the summit
too. Road to Clingman's dome is fun and the view from the top is
stunning. I am currently reading "That Dark and Bloody River" by Allan
Eckert  which chronicles our push to settle west of the mountains circa
1770's. I was struck by the enourmity of those settlers' journeys while
atop Clingman's dome. It's also easy to understand the Indians'
reluctance to leave.
                                                			Hell, I didn't want to
leave either !!
	I'll post some fun roads I didn't yet mention if Y'all are interested.
(a little southern lingo there) Regardless , have fun rallyeing and ride
safe.
	Oh yes , speaking of safe , I was surprised to learn how loud bank angle
indicators actually are. Never thought I would even come close to
touching down  :>) Did I mention that I love this bike??
	Yours ,
		Adam -  99 ST with a fine view in my mirrors , working and dry fuel
sender but worn out rear tire.

				Beware the Dragon

End of st-digest V2001 #359