[ST] Re: N.C.

Good day STers,
Just got back from 2 weeks in Charleston, S.C. staying with Neil & Chen Juan (Scotty and China Dawgs).  In the middle weekend (8-10 June) we hired BMWs (yuk!) from Agogo in Morganton, NC and took off for the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Smoky Mtns.
I had an R1100S which just made me miss my ST rather badly.  It had more vibrations that a small rock band and the most bizarre riding position (high far-back pegs, low bars ) which gave me back ache after 30 mins.  I am 5'8" and a friend who is 6'8" here in Germany also rides the ST without problems.  Ergonomics are still a mystery to me (and BMW!).
The Parkway is very scenic - quite bizarre coming from Europe - lines of neatly mowed lawns and carefully sculptured Rhododendron bushes.  No commercial traffic is great, but lack of overtaking (i.e. no double yellow lines) and a speed limit of 45 mph (adhered to by giant RVs) resulted in my first ticket for overtaking :(   The charming way in which US cops are happy to take your visa card or escort you to jail is very disarming :)
We managed to cover B/R Parkway from near Old Grandfather to its end in the Smoky Mtns Nat Park. All worthwhile, especially the mtn bits!  Pisgah Inn has a nice view and should be great in August.  Max altitude was 6050 ft, so bring extra layers even in August!
We also visited Deal's Gap.  All I can say is that if you think that road is good I would suggest you come visit the Alps or even the Black Forest, in which even the average back road (try the magic 500 which runs for over 150 miles!) will make it look like a short scenic, twisty road along a pretty lake.
If you are doing 'Deal's Gap' and are thinking of doing the loop back via Nantahala watch out for some lovely 'ridged surfaces' on the bends and truely appalling road surfaces.  I think I would just turn around and do the Gap the other way.
http://www.motorbike-pals.com/alpenpaesse/
has some lovely photos etc. of the routes across the Alps...... just to wet your appetite.

cheers
Jonathan

>>> sprintpgh@xxxxxxxx 19/06/01 17:54:44 >>>
	Hey All
Spent last week (and 2600 miles) with my 99 ST in North Carolina. Hoo Boy
, you Rallyers are in for a good time!
	Bike was flawless whether droning up the interstate (601 miles was our
longest day) running in dirt/gravel
(only 11 miles , but still...) or flicking through Deal's Gap in the
rain.(road dried 1/3 way thru , but it sounds good...)
	Ah yes , Deal's Gap. If you've never ridden US 129 thru the Gap, you've
gotta check it out. I don't know what they were thinking when they
designed that 11 miles, but I suspect they were all motorcyclists...I
rode the Dragon on two separate days - gotta say it was much more fun
when dry. I did get passed by one bike - but wasn't humiliated in the
least as it turned out to be a guy on a Daytona. The Sprint drew crowds
and started conversations on  both days. Sheeite I love this bike!!
	The Cherohala Skyway wasn't as much fun as I had hoped, although it is
quite scenic. Nice wide sweepers make for a relaxing diversion on a
Sprint , but one would need to travel at nearly sub-orbital speeds to
really make it interesting. What's the deal with Tellico Plains, anyway?
Plains is right - freakin' place looks like Iowa - not even 11 turns in
318 miles. I heard that the day after riding the Cherohala it hailed so
much there that the road appeared to have a couple of inches of snow
accumulated. Careful , all!
	The southern 150 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway is Gorgeous - mountain
laurels were just starting to bloom-  plus it's my understanding that a
speeding ticket results in a fine but no points. Kinda like paying ones
dues to join the club.
	The ride to Mount Mitchell was good -  nice restaurant at the summit
too. Road to Clingman's dome is fun and the view from the top is
stunning. I am currently reading "That Dark and Bloody River" by Allan
Eckert  which chronicles our push to settle west of the mountains circa
1770's. I was struck by the enourmity of those settlers' journeys while
atop Clingman's dome. It's also easy to understand the Indians'
reluctance to leave.
                                                			Hell, I didn't want to
leave either !!
	I'll post some fun roads I didn't yet mention if Y'all are interested.
(a little southern lingo there) Regardless , have fun rallyeing and ride
safe.
	Oh yes , speaking of safe , I was surprised to learn how loud bank angle
indicators actually are. Never thought I would even come close to
touching down  :>) Did I mention that I love this bike??
	Yours ,
		Adam -  99 ST with a fine view in my mirrors , working and dry fuel
sender but worn out rear tire.

				Beware the Dragon