Re: [ST] Robert is Scared to death

From: Bill Findiesen
<snip> Some of these>bikes have racked up tens of thousands of trouble free
miles. You should
>check into the BMW or VFR site. They have their problems too.<snip>

I have to agree with Bill (though with a milder tone).

I've had my RS since March 17, 2000, and have racked up 16,000 miles, riding
almost exclusively on weekends. Though I've yet to be out on more than a 3
day event (1200 miles), I've had no complaints with my Triumph. And I had
almost FOUR MONTHS straight of zero riding because of our harsh, snowy
winter in the northeast.

I did have a couple of spots of fuel once, but that may well have been an
overfill weeping out of the vent tube. I replace the fuel sender about 6
weeks ago, at the bike's 12,000 mile service. The "10" tune had been
downloaded at it's 6,000 mile service. No difference in mileage, just a
slight stumble below 2500rpm, where I rarely have the throttle anyhow.
Starts and runs perfectly in icy cold to scorching temps with nary a
complaint. I do miss a gear now and then, but my fault due to my very light
touch on the lever. Not as smooth as my old Suzuki GSX-F, but then, what is?

Only maintenance has been 3 oil & filter changes (600, 6000, and 12,000, as
recommended.) Valve adjustment at 12K needed 4 shims on the intake, 3 on the
ehaust, none more than a .2 mm. Nearing time for my second tire change,
swapped out the original BT-020 for the same at 9,800, (but that was about
1800 too late.) Likely go with them again, very predictable performance and
low cost. Lastly, my chain went very quickly between the 12K service (which
was actually at 13,600) and 14,500. I thought the tech had over-tightened
it, but upon close inspection, the original Regina was bone dry inside the
O-Rings, and worn badly. Now the bike sports a D.I.D. X-Ring VM530 Gold, my
only piece of squid-like equipment. Also now needs front brake pads, they'll
be in next week.

That's it. Pretty damn reliable machine, been well cared for. Gets nods from
everyone who gets a close enough look, and I just love the Triumph
accessories (tank bag, sport panniers, belly pan, CF tank pad), with the
exception of the cheapo "rear master cylinder cover". After buying that one,
I declined to get their rear hugger, holding out for the aftermarket "real"
CF one.

Would I buy another Triumph? In a heartbeat. And the new Daytona is making
my heart beat a little faster, especially knowing it now can take those same
sport panniers, accessory outlet (for my heated gear), and a few other
choice bits not offered for the older version (like 147 HP!)

One very happy customer, so far.

Ken M.