[ST] Rallye: Thursday, June 14

June 14, Thursday: We unloaded the bike in Pueblo. I rode as Billie and
Hollie drove across highway 55 in Colorado to Montrose for the first
western Triumph Sports Riders Association Rallye 2001. At Salida we took
a gas break and I asked if the folks had just came across Monarch Pass.
They had and commented that it was snowing! I set off not knowing if I
would have to load the bike or not. It was wonderful. As I headed up
Monarch Pass it started snowing! It was a dry snow so did not stick to
the face shield. Merlin ran perfectly and I had a blast with the snow
coming down making it look like you were going twice as fast as you were
with the trees and roadside covered. Luckily the road was clear and I
only stopped to take a picture. Billie and Hollie passed me and honked
but I quickly caught them and re-passed. As I cleared the pass the
terrain leveled out somewhat and I then entered the Black Canyon of the
Gunnison. Spectacular is all I can say. What a blast in the canyons,
mountain, and beside this beautiful long lake area. I stopped at least
twice more to take pictures. Billie would pass and honk and then I'd
catch and pass them again. A wonderful ride. We got into Montrose early
and checked into the hotel. Sylvia was at the front desk and very
pleasant and helpful. She wanted me to let her know what we thought
about the room and to have me pass the word that they had placed large
buckets, two water hoses, and plenty of rags and towels for us to wash
our bikes! Great to have such support from the hotel. The rooms were
fantastic! Very large rooms with nice furniture, a dressing area with
sink and mirror, and a large bath area with another sink and mirror. I
felt like I was in a small house. As I unloaded Shawn Tremble greeted me
on a Triumph Sport and his buddy. Soon other riders began arriving. We
finally met Steve Ford and his daughter Nicole from Wichita Falls,
Texas. Richard, Lisa, and David then arrived. Soon the rest of the Texas
Mafia arrived as Scott and Beth Friday and their two riding buddies
pulled in. The rest of the afternoon and night riders pulled in and we
met each other. Around dark the California Cartel arrived. It was good
to see Blake again since I hadn't seen him since the Formula 1 race at
Indianapolis last September. I also met Matt Knowles who we did the
camera mount for and Paul Master who had sent the riding videos along
with several others.