[ST] Eastern Rallye Adventure

Well, just got back from a really great weekend riding the Western North
Carolina roads in search of the routes for this year's eastern Rallye.

I had to work in Jacksonville NC on Thursday and Friday morning so I
decided to make it more enjoyable by bringing the ST along. My plan was to
just shoot over to Asheville on Friday morning - of course without
realizing that there is no straight route between the two...

Anyway - the trip started on Thursday morning at about 4am - had hoped to
get in some miles before the heat of the day was upon me. Was in central
coastal Georgia when I decided to fill up and stretch my legs. Then I heard
that dreaded sound.... my pager. Entire network was down. :-( So I spent
the next hour and a half in the direct sun in some back woods gas station
parking lot talking my techs through the troubleshooting procedure...

About halfway through my call, a beater pickup pulls up next to the bike.
Out steps the poster child for Georgia redneck (I wish I had taken a
picture). About 6'2" - 170 lbs - two missing front teeth - overalls (one
strap buttoned) with no shirt underneath - boots with no laces - and what
appeared to be a mouth full of "tobbacky" (sp?). He called to his passenger
- - "Hey - have a look at this here sickle..." I had to try really hard to
keep from busting out laughing... So in between issuing profanities to the
techs on the other end of the line I was explaining to my new best friend
how fast it would go and yes it was fun to ride and no I don't use it to
get away from the cops.....

The rest of the trip to Jacksonville wasn't bad although on 53 I lost the
vent flipper on my Shoei (which meant that anytime I moved the visor the
thing felt like it was going to come off in my hand) - bummer. No biggie
though as I remembered that there was a Triumph dealer in Jacksonville. So
on Friday I headed off to find Back Roads Triumph. I got directions and
after finding it can only say that they probably don't do  a whole lot of
walk-in business (as you won't find them unless you are looking -
definitely "Back Road"). The first thing I noticed was a parking lot full
of Triumphs and Guzzis - there were 15 bikes outside at a minimum. Was met
enthusiastically by one of the employees - Rick Greene. Wanted to know
about the bike - "Saw one just like this at the Triumph Truck in
Daytona..." When I told him of my visor trouble he said "We don't sell
Shoei but we'll get you taken care of". Inside I was greeted by even more
bikes - I didn't check but would assume they had one of everything on
display. Its great to see a shop really excited about the Triumph line. So
they dug around and found one of the employees had a shoei in back - they
pulled one of the nylon screws off of it and put it on my helmet and then
refused any sort of compensation. Of course I had to buy one of their
stylin' Triumph tshirts (even though they didn't have one with an ST on
it). If you ever find yourself in Eastern NC you owe it to yourself to stop
in and say hi.

Back on the road again I headed off for Asheville -  for anyone that was on
the East Coast on Friday, they can appreciate what I drove through - lots
of rain and high winds. It was the first good workout for my new Triumph
Chevron rainsuit - I must say I am very impressed (more on that at a later
time). Did a few back roads on Friday but as I was tired and the roads were
really wet, I decided to crash for the evening.

Awoke early on Saturday and headed off for the Pisgah Inn to start mapping
the Friday Rallye Run. On the way up the parkway (as I was stuck behind a
slower moving car) a Futura pulled in behind me. We got around the car and
they (2up) followed me for a bit - I then flagged them by so I could watch
it in action - no mistaking that sound .... I followed them to the inn
where they pulled off and I continued on. In hindsight I should have
stopped because I think they had the luggage on the bike and I really want
to see that up close - oh well.

I made a quick stop in to see Dee and Henry at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle
Camp - for anyone not able to get in at the Pisgah, this is the place to
be. Tent camping is $20 - Small cabins (for one or two people) are $38 and
come with linens - and larger cabins with bath are $48 - I will post more
info separately on this.

The roads were great - I had a blast as usual. I did manage to get pulled
over - for 71 in a 35 !! I pulled out of Hot Springs and accelerated
"gently" across the bridge. On the other side are some nice wide sweepers -
I had done a couple when I heard a faint siren. Looking in the not so
functional ST mirrors I found that I was being followed by a red Blazer
with flashing blue lights. A quick heart failure and then I thought it is
probably just an emergency vehicle on the way to a scene. I pulled toward
the right so that he could pass, but no luck. A couple blasts on the siren
let me know he wanted me.... Off on the side, Bubba approached - red in the
face (not a happy looking camper). He begins yelling at me, but I motion to
my ears and begin to remove the helmet (couldn't hear him with the ear
plugs). "Boy - when you see blue lights you get yourself over to the side
of the road"

"I'm sorry - I didn't see you"

"Well, I've been trying to catch you since the store - do you know how fast
you were going ? "

"No sir"

"Well, I got you at 71 in a 35"

"Wow - I don't belive that - I mean I just pulled out of the Springs onto
the road"

"Listen - I know where you pulled out of - I was right across the street.
We have you on video tape - would you like to see it ? "

"No sir - I don't need to see it - I wasn't doubting you - I only meant
that I was surprised that I had been going that fast - I am terribly sorry
- - I am trying to find this road (pointing to my scribbled map on the tank
bag) and was just not paying attention".

"License please" He then looks it over, walks around the bike and says
"They still making Triumphs - huh - I didn't know that. They sure do get up
and go."

"Yes - unfortunately..."

"Well, we are right now scraping two Harley riders off the road" (his exact
words). "We don't want to have to pick up anyone else - you slow it down,
ok ?" Hands me back my license....

"Yes sir - thank you sir - I will slow it down..."

Rest of the day was spent without incident. Have the Friday run completed
now and am working on the Saturday run. This year's event is going to be a
blast !!!

Another great dinner at the Pisgah - a few calls out to gloat (Lisa - left
a message on your cell) and then off for a good nights sleep in the cold
mountain air - it doesn't get any better...

- -Eric