Lurker surfaces... educate me, please

Greetings all you ST riders,

My name is Hector and I live in Seattle, Washington. I have been riding
motorcycles for approximately 30 years. Recently I became interested in the
Triumph Sprint ST and someone recommended this list as a good place to learn
about this particular bike. There is a great deal of information here but I
must confess I have developed some apprehensions about this bike as a result
of many of the things I have read. Just today I saw a post that kind of
reflects this and I have included it here:

"...Don't everybody get mad, but what's up with these ST's? This past month
there has been way to many failures of ST's on this list. If you figure
how many people are regulars on this list and how many breakdowns or
unexplained problems have happened this month, the ratio is alarming!
I'm beginning to have second thoughts about my used ST purchase and am
almost afraid to go further than down my block for a ride, as I might
not make it back.:-(

Sorry for the negative post, but this is really discouraging. I LOVE my
ST, but I NEED to be able to trust it!..."

The above is a quote from another list member. One thing I have in common
with the person who wrote this is that reliability is very important too me;
very important. Please don't get me wrong. My intention is not to ruffle any
feathers or start any list battles but I must say that as a newcomer, and a
non-owner but prospective buyer, I am having second thoughts about buying an
ST. The ST is a beautiful bike and I am hoping that by writing this, you ST
riders can convince me the ST is not as troublesome as one might think from
reading these posts.

Once again, I don't mean to start trouble or offend anyone. If I have,
please accept my sincere apology. I am simply doing some research before
deciding to buy. As I said this is a great looking bike and from other
readings it seems as though it handles very well and goes as fast as I want;
but I must be able to depend on it too.

If anyone would like to write me off list you are most welcome to do so.
My address is:
rpd1@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks to you all and happy riding.

Hector - (BMW and Moto Guzzi rider)