Re: [ST] Tornado Red Paint Info.

Barry Evans wrote:

> I was told that the deeper scratch on the
> underside was a result of bottoming out. Must have been that lumpy right
> hander I refered to in my original message on the subject ('Paint
> matching'). Is this a common occurence and/or was I running the suspension
> too soft?

Common with the standard, too-soft suspension settings for your average
weight rider + gear, IMHO.

> I guess so. I had it set to the 'firmer' solo setting believing
> that because my pillion was only 55kg (see my message 'Standard weight of
> rider & pillion?' which no one responded to!!!) it would be enough.

I guess I hoped you would find my earlier posts in the archive re: rear
sag. In short, me + gear + panniers + typical junk in panniers ~= 210
lbs. To set the proper sag (30% of suspension travel, IMHO) I'm running
the rear at six turns (12 clicks) out.

Since I sent the rear suspension like that, I've had no further scrapes
to the bottom fairing and have enjoyed much better handling
characteristics through the turns.

Eric has some nice instructions from Race Tech on the ST/RS web site
that will guide you in setting the sag properly for both the front and
the rear.

- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA