[ST] Re: dairyland bait&switch?

How about a Progressive story -
I had a similar experience with Progressive a couple years ago....   I
called to ask about coverage for my 1971 BMW R75/5 and they wanted about
$125 less per year than State Farm, who I currently had it with, so I
had them start the app. over the phone and paid by credit card.  A few
days later I got a letter stating that the rates had been raised nearly
$250 and payment was due immediately or the policy would be cancelled
and a prorated refund less penalties returned.  When I called them back
they claimed that since it was my first policy with them, and I bought
the bike more than a month before insuring it with them, they had to
raise the rates.    I had to fax all kinds of proof of insurance to them
and get the 2nd degree from my State Farm agent before they finally
relented and lowered the rates back to what was originally contracted.

After that I had no problems with them and excellent customer service on
the few occasions I needed to speak to them.  -UNTIL- I then bought a
1987 BMW K75c and asked for a quote - $1400 per year as opposed to State
Farms quote of about $380, with NO explanation as to why such a
difference.  I immediately cancelled and took both bikes back to State
Farm and have my Sprint ST with them as well.

End of st-digest V2001 #381