Re: [ST] Sprocket Changes

<<<Just wanted to enquire about sprocket size changes.  I had intended to
go down one tooth on the front sprocket when I next change it due to the
fact that so many people seemed to have gone this route.   However, a
friend told me I would be better to go up in teeth on the rear sprocket
insted as this causes less chain wear. >>>

Rick;
My $.02:  I went down to 18 teeth on the front on my '00 ST, and would
recommend that change 1st.  It is cheaper and easier and gives the right
amount of increased drivability and speed in the lower gears, and does not
adversely effect cruising comfort or mileage.  If you want more than that,
consider going up 2 teeth on the rear.  The effect on chain wear would start
to show up with 17 teeth on the front, but plenty of T5 riders have done
that with no adverse effects.  Many have the 17/45 combination for a lot
more power down low.

I am not a great wrench, and I did my own front sprocket swap very easily.
The rear -- well, read what folks have said about trying to get the rear
wheel off.

Go to 18 teeth on the front and enjoy the pop in 1st and 2nd gears!

Jon
"00 Blue ST "India Flyer"