[ST] RE: Trust me on this, get an eMap.

As the owner of an eMap I feel that I can give a reasonable answer to
your questions.

Let me preface my comments by saying that I think the eMap "rocks". It
has proven itself to be very useful on numerous occasions. I have taken
it hiking, biking, cycling, driving and flying. The etrex vista was not
available when I bought the eMap so I don't know how it stacks up.

Before you purchase it you need to decide if you want to go the MetroGuide
route or the roads & recreation (R&R) route because it is very hard
(i.e. expensive) to change.

The metroguide includes map data, road data, and points of interest
(restaurants, petrol stations)

Roads and Recreation only has the map data (which does show all the roads
but does not include the data to allow the eMap features such as roadlock
and show next street)

Garmin claim that the eMap is specifically designed to work with metroguide
hence all the nice features ( Find the nearest Burger King ) that only
work with metroguide.
However there is a draw back, because of the extra data the maps are much
bigger and require more memory. 8MB is about big enough to store only
one major city. I would advise against getting any bundle that combines
metroguide with an 8mb cartridge. The R&R maps come in much smaller
(county sized) chunks so you can outline your planned route with accurate
maps.

If you get a larger memory card and decide to get metroguide then you
should also consider the usb reader. The serial cable is fine for loading
8mb of maps (15 minutes).

In summary...
If you are going crosscountry. I would recommend the eMap,
datacable and 8mb memory bundle for $279 and then go out and buy the
Roads & recreation cd.

If you will be doing lots of riding in one metropolitan area OR you
have lots of money to burn. get the eMap, 32-64mb card and the usb reader.

I have posted these URLs before but if you want to see the eMap fitted
to my 'RS...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/3411823/3412266auNNEtIszp
http://community.webshots.com/photo/3411823/3412161BeiQKlTwSJ

Cheers,
KEv

> "You will also need the Garmin Roads and Rec. CD. to enhance the base map.
> "
>
> I was checking the GPS sites out and noticed that there are several
> accessories available. I have a computer with USB ports, so I would think
> that a cable is in order, but what about memory? Do I just get the basic
> Garmin eMap GPS for  $199.99 or do I get the Garmin eMap with Data Cable,
> 8MB Memory @ $279? Or the Garmin eMap with Data Cable, 8MB Memory, MapSource
> MetroGuide USA CD-ROMs @ $399.99? Or how about adding the USB Memory
> Cartridge Writer (Windows 98/Me/2000) for  $74.99?
>
> Hope some of you guys who have one can sort this out for me. What do I
> REALLY need for a week's bike trip covering 1500 miles?
>
> Bill (I need a technology fix) Findiesen
> (not that getting lost is all bad at times :) )

- --
Kevin Unthank              \   It is only prudent never to place
Sun Microsystems            \   complete confidence in that by which
kevin.unthank@xxxxxxx        \   we have even once been deceived.
http://fugspit.stormpages.com \                    -- Rene Descartes