[ST] let off gas and idle plummets

Weird situation on Wednesday.  I took the bike to run some errands.
Second stop was to get gas, which I bought at a Chevron (89 US octane).
3rd leg of the trip was 1 mile to work, no problems.

After work, hours later, I get on the bike and start it up and I'm
talking to a coworker as he walks out and the bike dies.  I start it up
again okay, but it idles really low--extremely low, like maybe 500rpm or
less, it hardly registers on the tachometer.  If I give it some gas it
revs up and seems to run fine, but then when I put the clutch in and let
off the gas, the idle drops to almost nothing and most times it won't
hold idle and died.  It died 3 times on the rest of the trip home, and I
only live 1.5 miles away.

I thought it might have been something with the fuel, but this morning I
started it (didn't ride yesterday) and it idled fine.  Then I took it
out for about 20 miles of around town riding.  No problems at idle.

Coincidence?  Should I be worried?  Is this some sort of signal?  The
check engine light did not come on, so I'm not sure having it looked at
would do any good unless I can re-create it.

Laters,
Brian
'99 ST (black)
Dallas, TX