Re: [ST] Cycle Shipping

Greg Deshais wrote:

> 1)	Cost, approximately how much would it cost me?

I shipped my ST from Arlington, VA to Mountain View, CA for $571.80,
including pick-up, drop-off, a transport skid, and straps.

> 2)	Crating, building a crate is no problem for me except should I use
> any 	additional tie points other than the usual tie downs on the handle
> bars?  On the 	other hand are there crates available, keep in mind that
> I don't want to break down any part of the bike.

Since my shipper provided the skid and straps, and the truck driver
secured everything, I don't know where all the tie down points were.

> 3)	Shippers, any suggestions on who to use for shipping?

I went through JC Motors down in Costa Mesa, CA (714-557-2558). They
hire North American van lines to do the actual transport. I was very
satisfied with the quality of the move. The bike came out a little
dusty, but that was no big deal.

The only thing I'd recommend is that you look at wrapping an old rag
around each of the grips before they strap the straps onto them. I can
see a little abrasion on the grips where the straps went. It's not very
noticeable, and the heated grips still work just fine, but it'd be nice
not to have the marks at all.

- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA