Re: [ST] ear plugs and autocom?

Thom: I have experimented with a lot of setups. First off the Autocom
is by far the best intercom. It works, is easy to install, and
putting the speakers in the helmet is easy and doesn't require
cutting the liner up or any BS. Now as for volume. None of the in
helmet speakers I've used, Autocom, J&M, Bass Monsters really sound
very good through ear plugs. They sound fine in a demo but on the
road it's another story, Now one can modify foam ear plugs to get
more sound through but then one also gets more road noise :-(  There
are also musicians ear plugs that attenuate say only 15 db. The
problem is a simple one. In order to get good quality of sound in a
helmet you need to really crank it up. Problem there is that one is
trying to over come road/wind noise. The Autocom systems don't really
amplify the audio they just pass the output from the CD , MiniDisc,
MP-3 or what ever and none of these put out much wattage. Usually
about 5mw per channel.

The best solution I've found for music is in ear monitors. Eric S.
mention Precision Sound they make good ones as do several others, in
fact one can spend over $500.00 on just the speakers alone. There are
several very high end systems for professional recording studio
applications and on stage monitoring. Anyway after much
experimentation I use an Autocom for hearing my Valentine One.  And
for tunes I use a Sony MiniDisc player with a set of Westone custom
ear molds with the Shure E1 monitors built in. The nice thing about
custom ear molds is that they offer about a 30 NRR rating so that one
hears great audio and the ear molds block out road noise. In other
words you can set a reasonable volume level before taking off and
don't need to crank it up to hear it once you're moving. With the ear
molds in I can still hear the Valentine go off, so I guess that you
could also hear the intercom.

HTH,

Erik

http://precisionweb.com/content.html