[ST] Dumb Front Fork answer

>  From: Erik Miner <Axeis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 03/05/2001 15:26:
>  Thanks everyone. I now have a NEW dumb question. I think that the
>  front stand (Pit Bull http:www.pit-bull.com because of the distance
>  between the ground and the rear tire may not allow me to raise the
>  front of the bike enough. I was wondering if I could safely put say a
>  2"x 8" under the center stand allowing for more rearward tilt?? Think
>  anything bad will happen. I do of course plan on securing the center
>  stand so that it won't move forward.

	Let's see now, if you secure the center stand to the front wheel so
that it can't fold, and then remove the front wheel... hmmm, you may need
another point to secure the centerstand to. Securing the centerstand to
something so that it doesn't fold is a great idea as long as you're not going
to be tampering with the securing point(s)!
	But in answer to your actual question, when working on the forks I
think I'd either suspend the bike from the ceiling by it's frame (assuming your
ceiling can support a 500+ pound load) or put a block under the centerstand as
you suggested, secure it so it can't possibly fold, and then tie down the rear
(like from the luggage rack or grab bar) so it can't fall forward.
	Of course, I'm sure either RaceTech or your local bike mechanic can
probably suggest something better based on more (or more painful) experience.

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"
	'01 red SV650S  "Cherii"
	Spring, Texas, USA