RE: [ST] ST vs VFR

Hi Robert,

We sound quite similar in our likes for bikes.  My friends (riding things
like Daytona's, 748SP's, CBR600's etc) ask me why I ride a touring bike.  I
tell them that it's actually a comfortable sports bike.  When we all ride
the twisties together they are a little surprised.

When I first rode the VFR8, I thought it was the perfect bike.  After riding
it for a while I realised that it was the "almost" perfect bike.  I'll keep
this short and to the point.

The RC46 engine of the VFR8 is a nice lump.  Great engine in fact.  But, it
is far more suited to one up applications.  It needs more torque and
mid-range to be a good two-up power plant.  Riding it in a sporty manner
one-up is great fun. But, you'll find that whenever you ride it with your
girl on the back that you'll still be in "race face" mode.  If you don't
ride it hard and at high rev's you'll bog down on every corner.  Don't know
about you but I ride more conservatively when my girl is on the back.
Having a fist full or torque at lower rev's is something you'll learn to
love.

Comfort wise, both bikes are great.  The ST has some very obvious ergonomic
similarities to the VFR.  Both are easy to ride all day without needing a
back brace and new set of wrists at every fuel stop.

The style of the bikes is a very personal thing.  I think they are both good
looking machines although I prefer the curved lines of the ST over the
angular edges of the VFR8.  My girl compares them by saying that the trumpy
is much more handsome (take from that what you like ;-)

I originally liked the noise of the VFR over the ST. That was until I fitted
a good aftermarket pipe (Two Bros high-rise carbon job).  I wouldn't swap
the note of a triple at full noise for anything that a twin or a four can
produce.  Sheer pleasure to listen to.

Hard bags?  Not a concern in my buying decision.  I don't use it for week
long tours, rather day or two trips in the local hills etc.  If it doesn't
fit in a backpack then it doesn't come with us :-)

If you have any specific questions just drop me a line (off the list is
probably best as the other list members already know that the ST is better
;-)

Bambi