Re: [ST] Powder Coating Wheels

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Gaske David G DLVA wrote:

> Sprinter's,
>   I have had the misfortune of my wheels being scratched (badly) while
> having my new Metzelers mounted.  The only good thing here is that the shop
> is going to pay to have my rims re-powder coated.  This is going to be all
> new for me.  SO what kinds of things should I ask the shop that is doing the
> work?  I have heard about making sure they do not let the temp get to high,
> but how high is too high?  Are our wheels clear coated over the powder coat?
> Guessing they are but have no idea.  I'm hoping to get this done soon so as
> not to interfere with riding when it warms up.

Make sure the powder coater tapes over the contact areas for the
rotors and bearing seats. As well I would also make sure that they
have also ordered new bearings and seals (for the front wheel at
least)

The numb nuts (Show and Go in Garland, TX) did not tape the those
areas and thus I hand beads powder coated into the threads of the
rotor mounting holes.

So make sure you look at the rims before they touch them and remount
them onto your bike. If they don't look right, ask them for new
rims.

Thom

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>        http://get.qnx.com
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664