[ST] Making the right choice

When I opted for the Sprint, I was seriously considering the BMW
R1100RS. I had ridden a friends, and it was wonderful. When I tried
to get some reasonable comparison, I went to a dealer that sold both.
I eventually took the fateful demo ride, and never even rode their
R1100RS. You undoubtedly ALL know what I mean.

Last weekend, we did the first ride together in about two years.
On Hwy 198, I stopped and suggested we swap bikes. I was trailing
for a bit, but when we came up onto a car, I eventually got slightly
impatient and passed both my bike and the car, expecting my friend to
do the same. He eventually did. And while I was having fun riding a
different bike, the Triumph triumphed in virtually every respect.
198 is a very nice bit of mostly sweepers, nothing really tight.

While I kind of liked the telelever front, the suspension was too
soft, the mirrors buzzed, things (on me) were going numb, it only revs to
7000 or 7500, and doesn't really get there any too quickly. The
smaller tires aren't meant to rip arcs around corners, so I have
to cut him a little slack there. The windscreen is much narrower
and doesn't provided as much protection, gear changing is a major
event, especially in turns, and on-off or off-on throttle changes
take a LOT of getting used to. The switchgear I didn't use much
so I'll not go there.

It costs a hell of a lot more than the ST, and for everything else
it doesn't do as well as the ST, the ST has better gas mileage.

Another friend has the K1100 tourer, and when I was telling him
this story, he said that the one thing the ST couldn't do was go
long distances. I told him I'd give hime a trip report after the
western rallye.

But just in case you haven't said this to that awesome machine
waiting patiently for you to hop on and go for a ride, go out
to the garage and pat the seat, "You and me buddy (or baby perhaps
for some), we make a great team!"

Red Dawg and Flash

I can't believe how appropriately he's been named. Looking SO
forward to Montrose.