Re: [ST] RE: Engine Management Light Gremlin

> Ever since I installed the Race can and K&N filter, my bike has also been
> plagued with rough running, little micro-surges but no light.  I've had
the dealer
> reprogram it 3 times doesn't seem to help.  Each time they've checked the
> programing and it's reporting the correct download.

If you increase either the intake flow or exhaust flow significantly, you
change the mixture requirements. The Triumph race can should, if it performs
as advertised, increase exhaust flow. Although I'm not a great fan of K&N
filters, they do increase intake flow. For example: I have a '99 Honda
VTR1000; I live at 6,100 feet altitude; I frequently ride at altitudes of
12,000 feet or even higher. The VTR, with it's giant 48mm carburetors, broke
up on the main jets over 9000 feet. My solution: I installed a K&N filter,
rather than rejetting, and completely solved the problem.

My guess: Triumph provides proper fuel injection programming for the race
can but they did not anticipate the K&N filter. I'm guessing your bike will
run okay with the race can and stock filter or the K&N filter and stock
muffler.

BTW: my stock ST performs very well at any altitude but I do have a Triumph
free-flow can on order -- we'll see.

Verle Nelson
Cedaredge, Colorado