[ST] RE: rear wheel bearings

> Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:51:36 -0700
> From: "Rick Cooper" <cr53@xxxxxxxxx>
> Seems like there is a lot of play in my rear hub or bearings.  Is some
> movement normal (holding top of wheel in one hand, bottom in the other and
> push/pull) when the bike is on the centerstand.  Bike is a bit unstable at
> speed with minor input in steering, but handles fine when hiked over in
> corners.

Rick,

When I recently had new tyres fitted, the shop owner drew my attention to
what he considered 'excessive' play in the rear wheel bearings. When the
wheel was grabbed by the tyre across the centre, and waggled, definite play
could be felt - if not seen!

A couple of weeks later, Wolfram was in for his annual service (Bridge,
Exeter, UK) and the Service Manager checked it over on my request, and
pronounced it 'in spec'.

Regards,
- --
BRG