[ST] Sprint ST vs RSV Futura

     A few people have asked me off list about the Futura so I've decided
     to answer all the questions in one mail.

     I'll qualify my statements by saying that the modle I tried belonged
     to a friend and was fresh from the showroom so all you're getting here
     are first impressions.

     Motor:
     Feels like a match for the ST in terms of torque. I think the choice
     comes down to whether you prefer the vibes of the twin or the
     smoothness of the triple.

     The STs Sagem FI system feels better mapped and smoother in terms of
     delivery and throttle response. Very slight advantage to the ST here
     but that could all change when the Aprilia is run in and adjusted.

     Suspension and chassis:
     Big advantage to the Futura. The fully adjustable forks outclass the
     ST big-time. The rear also feels excellent and is easily adjusted.
     Initially the futura feels lighter and narrower than the Triumph but
     you quickly realise the weigh about the same. The Futura is narrower
     and carries its weight low down and this is its major advantage over
     the ST.

     Brakes:
     Not quite as powerful as the ST but more feedback. These feel exactly
     like the Brembo Goldlines on my Guzzi, which is to say excellent. I'd
     happily live with either system and would rate them equally.

     Noise:
     The futura sounds like and electric lawnmower with a budgie trapped
     inside. It's awful and produces a strange chirping noise that I
     couldn't track down. Bonous points to the ST for sounding better but
     both bikes need a performance can.

     Finish:
     Cheap fitings and poor paint let the Aprilia down. The paint was worn
     flat around the tank after 15 miles use and we had to polish with hand
     glaze before fitting the 3M film (Pictures on the way Eric). One panel
     was unlaquered on a visible edge. Many of the fasteners are poorly
     plated and look very cheap. The brake lines look cheap and nasty by
     comparison to the neat stainless jobbies on the Triumph. Overall it
     lacks that look and feel of quality that the ST, BMW and VFR share.

     Gizmos:
     Adjustable clutch and brake levers!!!!!
     Fuel guage tells you how much fuel you have left, as in, Fuel
     remaining = 1.5L !!!!!!
     Seat release is on the dashboard so you can still get at it with the
     bags fitted !!!!!

     Looks:
     Very subjective obviously. The ST is pretty while the Futura is
     striking. It looks great from the side and from the saddle but the
     view of the front and rear is awful, reminiscint of the Triumph TR7!
     When they were parked up, everyone walked over to the Triumph first.

     Ergonomics:
     Futura has lower bars and is a sportier feeling bike than the ST. Very
     much a SPORTS-tourer. One very annoying feature is the headlight
     switch which has high beam where the dips would normally be and vice
     versa. I'm sure one would get used to it but I can't think of one good
     reason for deviating from the norm.

     the ST. It has some nice features but is poorly finished in many
     respects. I'll be sticking with my ST for the moment at least but I
     expect to see the ST and VFR given a decent run for their money when
     the magazines start doing some group tests.

     I have some side by side shots of the ST and RSV which I'll post when
     I get a chance.

     Martin (Howlin' Dawg)

The information transmitted in this email is intended for the
addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. Any review, retransmission,dissemination,reliance
upon or other use of, this information by persons or entities
other than the addressee is prohibited.If you received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete the material.

This message has been swept by Anti-Virus software