[ST] re: an (un)comfortable decision...

>  From: "Joel Ashman" <ashmite@xxxxxxxx>
>
>  Having just completed a 500 mile ride in 2 days (250 each way), I'm faced
>  with the hard fact that I just can't get comfortable on my ST.
>  ...  The decision ahead of me is:  Keep the ST, but be uncomfortable.
>  Trade for ...

	Ouch, both comfort-wise and financially. I have a 2000 ST and a 2001
SV650S, so I know a bit about your choices. As much as it hurts financially, if
your bike isn't comfortable you won't ride it. More importantly, you'll be
distracted while you are riding it, which isn't safe. I think Triumph makes
fabulous machines, but if you can't get comfortable on the ST with Heli bars
then I doubt the Speed Triple or Tiger would be much better. The reach from
seat to bars is just too long. So your inseam isn't the critical measurement
here - your sleeve is.
	If you've had an SV650 then you know how good a machine it is - I had a
naked '99 myself. I now have a 2001 S model, and the half fairing and clipons
make it much better, especially for the highway. Did you see Motorcyclist's
review a few months ago? If not, you can find it at SVRider.com. The SV's
suspension is junk and I found the stock seat uncomfortable, so my first mods
were RaceTech front suspension and an Ohlins shock, then a Corbin saddle. I
bought the bike for $6,400 drive-out, the saddle was $360, and the suspension
was a little under $1,000 installed. So for under $8k total I have a wonderful
bike. RKA makes great luggage for it - I have their 6l to 16l expandable
magnetic tank bag. If you find the turn-in too slow, switch the tires to
Dunlops - I now use a D207 front and D205 rear, and I'm still just under $8k
total investment. The motor is great, though you know it won't keep up with an
ST for raw speed. Carburetion is very good on my '01 - better than my '99 was.
The brakes are good, and moving the lever as far up the clipon as possible
gives you plenty of leverage for hard stops with two fingers.
	If you're close enough to the north side of Houston, drop by and ride
mine. If not, jump on the mailing list at svrider.com and find somebody that'll
let you sample theirs back-to-back with yours, then decide for yourself if the
change is worth it. To me, though, significantly uncomfortable is unsafe, even
though the ST is still the absolute best all-round motorcycle I've ever ridden.

FWIW,

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"
	'01 red SV650S  "Cherii"
	Spring, Texas, USA

P.S.	I'm changing jobs soon so this email address will go away, but you can
reach me at jimhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxx