[ST] OT: cell phones out west

for some reason i think that a bunch of folks on this list have spent
some time in the rocky mountain regions -- was there a rally there
last year?

in any case, julia and i are going to be "doing" the rockies this
year, from the grand canyon to jasper.  (2 bikes, 8 weeks, including
the ride to and from boston, by way of quebec.  go ahead.  be jealous. :-)

one thing we've never had (at all) is a cell phone.  we normally don't
need one, but when we've travelled, it's seemed like it would be a
good idea, for making call-ahead travel arrangements, calling mom :-),
and, of course, emergencies.  so we thought we'd get one.

but on this trip i can't help but think that we'll be out of range of
service a lot -- we aren't exactly going to be in urban centers most
of the time.  should we bother?  we'll be hitting the predictable
parks, and scenic rural areas in between.

just how bad _is_ coverage outside of the eastern seaboard?  :-)

paul